:+: SuPeRhEr0 sLaCkEr :+:

Thursday, February 02, 2006

3 : Buttons to Push

“…And there I was, standing there like an idiot, and then this girl came and sent me sprawling on the floor! I couldn’t be more embarrassed in my life!”

“(deafening laughter) Yeah, I can imagine. You sure looked like an idiot! Ha ha ha!”

“And my pig of a professor even joined in! What an ass.”

“Ha ha ha! A pig-ha ha ha-and an ass! Ha ha ha!”

“You’re no help at all Bridge. This is the time to give me some sympathy.”

“I sympathize with you, alright. But come on, it’s really funny! So what else is up? Any cute guys you know? And would like to let me know?”

“…”

“Allan!”

This is my friend Bridget. What’s up with her is always some new guy. Guess what part of a guy is up when she passes by…

“I’m thinking!”

“So? Think faster! They’re guys for chrissake! They’re not math problems!”

“Well, that depends. I sort of look at them as puzzles…”

A series of rapid knocks issued from the door and a head peeped in. The very graphic details of the event I just recounted to my dear friend Bridge suddenly came rushing back.

Eugh.

I hate reliving that nightmare.

“Hey, Al, d’you mind if I just nip in and freshen up a bit? A cute guy just asked me to a walk and I have nothing on… I know it’s your private room time and everything but…”

“Don’t be silly, Sam! It’s your room too. I would’ve locked the door if I didn’t want to be disturbed.”

The girl smiled gratefully and rushed into the room. That was Sam Lopez. The funny thing was, she was also late for History class last week on our first day. And we belong in the same class! She arrived about the same time as I did.

She tripped and bumped into me and we both landed on the floor.

As it turns out, she was supposed to arrive the night before our first day. She was vacationing with her family in Barbados, but their plane got caught up in some funk at the airport so they were delayed and arrived just in time for her to grab her books and hurdle towards History class.

I was surprised to see her with her not-quite-unpacked suitcase on the bed next to mine. I mean, okay, it wasn’t her fault that that blunder happened, but you know, first impressions and all. I don’t want to be stuck with a jinxed person. Not that there really is such a thing as a jinxed person. I sometimes think I’m jinxed when I rip my shorts every gym class and get chased by a dog on my way home from school five days in a row. But we’re not talking about me.

“So who’re you talking to?” Sam asked, as she rummaged through her make up pouch.

“Bridget. She says hi by the way,” I replied.

“Hi back! Can’t wait to meet you Bridget!” Now she’s applying lip gloss.

“Sam says she can’t wait to meet you, Bridge. Maybe if she finally does, she’d never wish she did.”

“Well ha-ha Allanah. Anyway, we’re planning a surprise party for Anna. You can come home next weekend right? It’ll be a picnic. At the park. I’ve invited a couple other people. It’ll just be close friends. So are you in? Saturday next week, okay?”

“Alright. Who’s gonna prepare the food?”

“I’ll have the cook prepare it, don’t worry. We’ve got loads of food here at home, and everyone needs to lose weight so better give it out, right?”

“Yeah. We’re a bunch of hungry homeless people.”

“You bet you are. And you. Don’t eat much there, okay? Are you getting your weekly exercise? You’ve been telling me you’ll lose weight, but you still haven’t! When will you, Al?”

“Alright mom, there’s no need to nag!”

“Hey, uhm, I’m gonna go now. See you later, Al.” Sam checked her appearance one last time and quickly exited the room, gently shutting the door behind her.

“I’m being serious!” came the voice from the phone.

Ok, so Bridge has been getting me to lose weight like, since we’ve known each other. And that’s a really really long time. She and my mom can join forces and make a Help Allanah Lose Weight campaign or something.

“Yeah yeah I know right? I’m constantly running around campus anyway ‘cause the buildings are so far away. That’s exercise enough.”

I hate it when we get into this topic. As if it’s her that’s being weighed down by this extra fat.

“I’m just concerned, geez. No need to be irritable. Okay, I hear my dad downstairs. He just came from Paris and I asked him to buy me that mink coat from Versace’s fall collection. I’ll talk to you again, k?”

“Ok. I’ll just be here all day. Enjoy your mink. ‘Bye.”

“Bye. And Al?”

“Yeah?”

“He’s coming on Saturday.”

I can hear her smile while she said that last bit. I’m sure.

Because I was smiling, too.

Bridget and I have a lot of differences. For one, she’s as filthy rich as all rich people could get. She’s like Cher in Clueless. And I… I’m like Mia in the Princess Diaries, except the being a princess part. Anna, on the other hand, is like Annette in Cruel Intentions, minus the whole Ryan Philippe thing. Bridge, Anna and I have been best friends since we were 8, so we pretty much know which buttons to push on each other. And now that we’re turning 18, I can really feel the friendship growing. It’s been ten years, and I want to be with them for another ten, and another, and another…

He’s going to be there! Yey!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home