:+: SuPeRhEr0 sLaCkEr :+:

Monday, January 30, 2006

1 : Moment of Insanity

I’m scared as hell.

It’s a brand new year, a brand new school, a brand new start.

I’m so scared.

It’s my first day in college. So many different people running around a gigantic campus and no familiar face. This is traumatic. Having come from a relatively small high school, I’m used to getting from room to room within five minutes. But here in this massive place, I have no idea where anything is, and I know I’ve seen that statue before.

Oh yeah. I’ve passed that a million times this morning.

The bell rang a couple of minutes ago to signal the start of classes, and I am nowhere near the right room! I turned my head desperately, hoping that the door with RM H312 written on it would suddenly materialize in the middle of this marble floor. I must’ve looked so pathetic because someone snatched the wrinkled paper I am holding, on which was written my class schedule and their corresponding rooms, and checked it.

“You’re in the wrong building. History building’s all the way at the other side of the campus. You must’ve been looking at your M-W-F schedule. This is the Literature building, and you have that M-W-F. Today’s tuesday.”

I opened my mouth but nothing came out. All the way at the other side! That is like, a hundred hectares away!

“You can borrow my skateboard if you want.”

A skateboard. Of all the wheels in the world, a skateboard is available. I thought this is supposed to be a high-end school? Where are all the rich kids with kick-ass cars who can drive me to Pluto in three minutes flat? I am going to be late. So late. My professor is going to kick me out of that class on my first day. Where is the ground when you need it to swallow you up?

“Or…not?”

Okay. I need to speak. Say something.

“Oh. Oh um…I… Thank you so much. But I… I really don’t know how to use a skateboard. But thank you so much for offering. And pointing me to the right building. I’ve been going around in circles the whole morning and I-I can’t find the room and I’m really panicking ‘cause it’s the first day and I want to make the right impressions and now I am so dead…”

“Whoa. Hold up. I’d like to stay and chat, but I really have to get to class too. Don’t worry, I had the same problem when I was a freshman. Trust me, you won’t be alone. See ya.”


With a wink and a half-smile, he left.

My angel left me alone to fend for myself in this big big world.

Who was that guy anyway?

But before I can even make the slightest guess, a second bell rang, I don’t know for what, but it certainly gave me a jolt. Come on legs, I need you to work now. This run will be worth a month’s workout. Now off to the other side! Where the grass is greener? I hope so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home